How to reclaim the best of Oz past – for the best Oz future
Trump and Brexit signal the end-game of the era of “free” markets. More than ever we need a clear vision for a fair-go society.
We Australians have shown, over our short history, we can be innovative, resilient, bold, generous and welcoming. But the free-market ideology has deceived and badgered us into selfishness, fear and mediocrity.
We have abundant skills and resources. We are creative. We can harness the economy so it delivers a fair go for everyone, without trashing the land and planet.
We can live well and generously in this ancient, fragile land.
Manuscript file available here
Comments can be made below.
— o o o —
First Dog on the Moon is also seeking (use link to see original) …
Thanks First Dog on the Moon. Courtesy Guardian News & Media Ltd.
This is a third draft that started as To Parliament With Love.
- Parking Lots and Paradise 4
- A Nation Half-Formed 12
- The Reign of the Radical Right 28
- The Failing Neoliberal Experiment 40
- Collateral Damage: Society, Land, Planet 49
- Back to Basics 59
- A Healthy Society 67
- Reclaiming Our Conversation 74
- Markets: Taming the Wild Horses 85
- Finance: Corralling the Feral Extractors 96
- Banks: Seeing Behind the Curtain 103
- Not Back to the Caves: Smart Ideas, Proven Practices 112
- An Economy to Support Society 124
- Not Wrecking Our Home: Working With the Land 135
- Sovereignty 143
- The Strength to Offer Hope 155
- Retrieving the Fair Go 161
Sample: Read Chapter 1